   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

Norman Walsh writes:

 > And yet I've watched them spend hours tinkering with formatting in
 > their WYSIWYG tools, despite the fact they've been told that all the
 > formatting is going to get discarded.

I've seen myself do the same thing.

I've used some kind of abstract markup (first LaTeX, then SGML, then
XML) for nearly all of my writing since the late 1980's.  Several
times, I've wondered if I was being a little anal, so I decided to try
writing an academic paper (or something similar) in a WYSIWYG word
processor.  That usually lasts about two hours, until I realize that
I've spent several times as long messing with the appearance than I
have creating content.

 > Structured authoring is hard.

It's hard to learn but easy to do once you've learned it.  The trick
is figuring out when it's actually worth making that initial
learning investment.

All the best,

David

--