   Re: [xml-dev] SAX Locator vs {start,end}Entity

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 1:48 PM

> Does SAX make any guarantee about which entity the locator will refer
> to during the startEntity and endEntity callbacks?

Well the docs for getLine/ColumnNumber say this:

<quote>
The return value is an approximation of the line number in the document entity
or external parsed entity where the markup triggering the event appears.
</quote>

Which would mean the currently parsed entity.
In addition, the docs for getEncoding and getXMLVersion in Locator2
seem to imply the same.

Internal entities are a problem somehow, since they are not based
on a separate file/stream. The specs warn that internal entity expansion
may throw off the reported line/column numbers.

When I wrote a SAX adapter for Expat, this is how I interpreted it.

Karl