   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

[hating myself for jumping into this permathread once again :-) ]

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:16:37 -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold
<elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Sun's recently posted an alpha of J2ME Web Services
> <http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr172/index.html> This
> spec defines a subset of JAXP, SAX, and XML which is only suitable for
> processing SOAP messages. ... Among other sins

Anyone following sml-dev three years ago would not be surprised to hear
that vendors are subsetting XML for mobile, data-oriented applications.
Where's the "sin" here?  What's a cellphone supposed to do with an external
entity reference, or a notation declaration?  Should well-known
interoperability antipatterns such as default attribute values be
encouraged in lightweight applications?

> I did not recognize any of the names in the expert group. It is not clear
> if there is any real XML expert in the group who actually understands XML
> at a deep level.

Hmm, a group of people out there in the real world took a look at XML,
picked what they thought they could use in their target environment, and
ignored the rest.  Reminds me of that effort at the W3C in the mid-90's to
develop something called "SGML for the Web."

[p.s.  The TAG *hates* crossposts on their public list even worse than I
hate myself for posting this on xml-dev ]