   Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

[forwarded on behalf of Liam Quinn]

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:53:59PM -0800, Mike Champion wrote:
>> It would be real nice to hear from someone on the
>> Expert Group on this matter, hint, hint, if you're
>> lurking out there.

 I'm probably not the only person unable to post to xml-dev.
 Feel free to forward this there if you think it will help :-)

 The W3C Tag has considered the issue of subsets of XML, and made a
 suggestion tht the W3C XML Core WG consider them in more detail.

 For my part I don't like making DOCTYPE an error, as it reduces
 interoperability.  It' slike going back to the SGML days where some
 tools required DOCTYPE in a DTD (although the spec outlowed it) and
 others (correctly) forbade it, so you had to go through hoops to get
 both Arbortext Adept Editor and SoftQuad Author/Editor to share files.

 But maybe it will turn out that there are sufficient reasons.
 Best,

 Liam

--
Mike Champion