   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

Karl Waclawek scripsit:

> Not compared to exceptions. Memory allocation and deallocation
> is very expensive across most languages. You can alleviate this somewhat
> with a smart garbage collector, but only to a degree.

Since an AllDoneException is basically stateless, you can employ a singleton
and bury the cost of allocating it in the general startup overhead.

> I think I said something about using status in low level code
> and leave the decision about exceptions to high level code
> with sufficient context to make it.

You did, but low or high, return codes are a botch.

> I can whip up a quick demo in Delphi
> (I already did - took 5 minutes) which shows that passing a Boolean result
> up from a 5 levels deep nested procedure call executed in a loop is at least
> 100 times as fast as throwing and catching an exception for the same purpose.

A newly allocated exception, as I suppose.  It should be quick to determine
the numbers for a singleton exception, too.

But fundamentally this is a benchmark, and execution speed on a benchmark
is no indication whatever of execution speed of a full application running
on live data.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There