   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

What I find very sad indeed is that users of J2ME cannot get good low
resource XML parsing APIs without getting the unnecessary bloat of the
web services APIs.

There is a real need for XML support (conformant) being provided in
J2ME. The need to build in web services support at this time is not
apparent. The specifications are not stable and the J2SE APIs for web
services should probably go through an iteration or two before being
incorporated into J2ME. If you are worried about resource consumption on
J2ME cut the web services parts instead of XML conformance.

With the current spec you will be add the bloat of JAX-RPC to the
platform while still forcing application developers to package a real
XML parser in their applications to be able to parse XML.

What should be done is to split the two goals of section 1.1 into two
separate JSRs, one for XML and one for WS. Then you could let the WS JSR
use a non conformant parser, as long as you don't call it an XML parser.

/Fredrik Lindgren