   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:32:00 -0500 (EST), John Cowan
<cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

>> The people behind sml-dev got this right, technically and economically -
>> they specified the subset for everyone's use. Perhaps similar work could
>> be chartered by the W3C,
>
> It has been.

Uhh, are you talking about "There may, however, be a need for having a
finer classification that would distinguish the various non-validating
processors: for example, those that expand external parsed entities from
those that don't." in http://www.w3.org/2001/12/xmlbp/xml-core-wg-
charter.html#deliverables?  That's giving the Core WG permission to look
into subsetting / conformance profiling if they want to, not chartering
them to go forth and do so, as I understand it.  Were you thinking of
something else?