   Re: Entity declarations and non-validating parsers

> At 12:58 PM -0500 2/23/03, Karl Waclawek wrote:
> >I don't think complete validation is possible on top of SAX.
> >AFAIR, there are a few entity related validity constraints that
> >cannot be checked through SAX.
>
> Interesting. Looking at the spec, I only see one such validity
> constraint that would seem to apply:

Well, All I remember was that we got a request for more detailed reporting
in Expat, since someone wanted to use it to build a DOM and to validate.
It had to do with the fact that SAX does not report the entity boundaries for:
  - general entities within attribute values
  - parameter entities within declarations

> Validity constraint: Entity Declared
>
> In a document with an external subset or external parameter entities
> with "standalone='no'", the Name given in the entity reference must
> match that in an entity declaration. For interoperability, valid
> documents should declare the entities amp, lt, gt, apos, quot, in the
> form specified in 4.6 Predefined Entities. The declaration of a
> parameter entity must precede any reference to it. Similarly, the
> declaration of a general entity must precede any attribute-list
> declaration containing a default value with a direct or indirect
> reference to that general entity.
>
> This leaves open the question of what a non-validating parser that
> reads the DTD is supposed to do when it sees a parameter entity
> reference before that entity is defined or an  attribute-list
> declaration containing a default value with a direct or indirect
> reference to a general entity which is not yet defined. My best guess
> is that it must then start acting like a non-DTD resolving parser,
> and not process anything that occurs after the parameter entity
> reference, but that's just a guess.

That is actually not really trivial.
I re-wrote the WFC (not VC) Entity Declared implementation in Expat
as well as the implementation of section 5.1 of the XML 1.0 spec a while ago.
The approach taken is documented in file attachment PatchImpl.txt
for patch #578161:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=578161&group_id=10127&atid=310127.

Karl