   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the data users happy? Why not?

"Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au> writes:

> From: "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
>
> > I also keep
> > seeing HTML forms where the "country" part of the address is a
> > drop-down list, 150-odd long, of all UN members, just because it's
> > available. The list ensures only "legal" values can be entered*, but
> > it checks for membership in a wrong set -- UN member nations as
> > opposed to nations where the site has or wants to have customers. I
> > wonder how many sites have users in Afghanistan?
>
> Taiwan, for example, is not a member of the UN.

You're right of course, I was imprecise. But whatever the set of
countries is (the ones that have Internet TLDs? The ones that are
routable through the UPU? An arbitrary list you got off some other
website?) it's still not the set of countries that you do business
in.

I know people who routinely select Afghanistan as their country in
HTML forms because it comes first alphabetically. I wonder how many
sites think they actually have a sizable user community in that
country :=)

Ari.