   RE: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

> And, as a result, it offers poor interoperability relative to good old
> Unicode-with-angle-brackets.  (My personal experience, yours may
vary). -

This is the most important point.  Common syntax
(unicodeWithAngleBrackets) is beautiful for data interop, "information
exchange" or whatever you want to call it.

The infoset people are concerned with interop at the data model layer
rather than the syntax layer, though.  Data model interop is important
in its own scenarios; mainly programming model (e.g. DOM).

True, the two goals are somewhat orthogonal and even contradictory, but
XML is appealing in part because it does a good job of bridging these
two worlds.  To some people, that bridge is a problem which allows the
two domains to pollute one another, but I'm more of a "glass half full"
person.