   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing efficiency? - why not 'compile'????

Robin Berjon writes:

 > Please describe what a "realistic use case" is to you, and time
 > allowing I'll be happy to oblige. I'd also be glad to know what in
 > the use cases that have already been cited many times in this
 > permathread is not realistic.

Your cases are fine: just make sure that you use an environment
and data similar to what you'll use in the real world (for example, if
the data will be coming over the net from outside the firewall, test
that way).

In the past, I've observed that actual XML parsing generally accounts
for under 1% of a batch application's running time (much less, if
you're building a big object tree or doing any database access).  That
means that if you speed up the XML parsing by 10%, you might have sped
up your application by less than 0.1% (or realistically, not at all,
if the parser was already idling waiting for data over the network).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/