   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

wperry@fiduciary.com (W. E. Perry) writes:
>More than a century after the early time-and-motion studies,
>technology has finally given us the tool to make every knowledge
>worker, at least, once again a highly specialized craftsman.

I like this analogy very much, but have to confess that I don't think
it's what industry (as presently constituted) wants to have.  They'd
much rather have cheap interchangeable parts that require no
craftsmanship whatsoever, and it shows in the work that is commonly
produced as "XML".

I love the vision, but don't think enough people - and certainly not
enough of the people with power to do something about it - share it.  At
least I can (attempt to) be a craftsman in my basement shop.

When one has made with his own hands any object of use or ornament there
is a sense of personal pride and satisfaction in the result, that no
expenditure of money can buy, and this very fact serves to dignify the
task and stamp it with individuality. - Gustav Stickley, March 1905.

Not a popular notion in tech business, really.

Simon St.Laurent