   Re: [xml-dev] Tree v. Table - A relational XML object model...?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 Matthew.Bennett@facs.gov.au wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recognized in CS 101 that a binary tree is just a table, skewed 45
> degrees, a non-binary tree a sparse table, skewed 45 degrees. They are
> abstractions of the *same* concept! Hence, it ought to be just as valid to
> speak of XML tables, as XML trees.
>
> Perhaps  a matrix-algebra mathematician can get around to having an
> epiphany, and come up with the ..... "relational XML object model".
>
> Possible, or pie-in-the-sky?
>
> Cheerio,
> Matt Bennett

I don't know about Relational XML Object Model, but Celko's Nested Sets
can represent XML quite well in Relational. See the work by Dr Richard
Edwards:

http://www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/~rich/research.html

He also has a sourceforge project where you can grab his code:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxy

Richard also has a nice chapter describing his work in the forthcoming
book (published in a couple of weeks):

http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0201844524,00.html

If you are interested in tree representations in Relational, I believe
Celko has an entire book on the topic planned for publication this year.

vr

--
Akmal B. Chaudhri
WebDatabases ------- http://www.btinternet.com/~webdatabases/