   Re: [xml-dev] Tree v. Table - A relational XML object model...?

Matthew.Bennett wrote:

> I recognized in CS 101 that a binary tree is just a table, skewed 45
> degrees, a non-binary tree a sparse table, skewed 45 degrees. They are
> abstractions of the *same* concept! Hence, it ought to be just as valid to
> speak of XML tables, as XML trees.
>
> Perhaps  a matrix-algebra mathematician can get around to having an
> epiphany, and come up with the ..... "relational XML object model".
>
> Possible, or pie-in-the-sky?

HyTime's "path location address" or "pathloc" feature
does exactly this: it views the tree as a 2-D array
and selects rectangular regions within the matrix.

Check out "Stupid PATHLOC Tricks" for an exposition
and exploration of this feature:

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com