   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:30:49PM -0500, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> <Quote>
> Yes, but there's going to be extreme wariness about anything centralized
> in what is fundamentally a markup language  that enables
> decentralization. That's why even a dumb prefix repository is so
> controversial.
> </Quote>
>
> Depends on the audience/application of it. In my main client
> concentration (Federal government), some of these concepts can be
> considered very valuable, especially for promoting interoperability.

  You won't get any interoperability benefit if you decide to
allocate the prefix foo to something and that I have decided to use
it for something else and that the parser won't double check it.
If you have no way to have the check enforced, that registry would be
at best a guideline for those who decide to subscribe to it. Which
is perfectly fine by me because I don't want to get errors parsing my
existing and currently working documents if at some future point
someone decides to register the prefixes I use.

Daniel