   RE: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

Sure and we did SGML before that.  I think the
SW is well-thought through.  Bray et al stated
a position well.  Let's give credit where credit
is due.  I also think the Common XML is well
stated.  Applause all round.  There isn't a
consensus but there are serious efforts to
figure out a different layering strategy to
XML 1.0.

We could probably make a pretty good list of
the logical layers at this point.  That is the
documentation side of the job.  But a subset
or a new definition for the core comes down
to essentially a "next release version of
the software" that several vendors all have
to agree to support.  What I don't see here
on XML-Dev are vendors clamoring to do that.

Why not?  If a real tear in the fabric of
interoperability of XML systems is imminent,
shouldn't they be more concerned?  If it
isn't, then what else but performance gains
for particular applications is at stake?

I see via Don Box, Bosworth et al, instead,
a proposal for a binary, which I thought to
be an even more contentious issue.

len