   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

On Friday 28 February 2003 20:59, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  It's clearly time to give up on IANA if
> it's merely part of the ICANN catastrophe.  That doesn't mean giving up
> on registration more generally, however - it means giving up on
> registration until such time as an accountable registrar comes into
> existence.  Perhaps ICANN's sheer corruption will lead to such a thing
> eventually.

Also, IANA is not the only way of getting OIDs. They just run a bit of the
OID space, like local DNS registries run their ccTLDs. My OID ain't IANA :-)

It's under this subtree:

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.2.826.0.1.html

The neat thing is that every UK limited company automatically gets an OID
(and thus the ability to create OIDs in the subtree beneath it, DNS style)
under there; they're just importing another registry rather than needing to
create a new one.

In fact, the IANA OID space isn't even *legal*. There was an OID subtree
assigned to the DOD that they weren't using, so the IANA decided that the DOD
probably wouldn't mind them assigning it to the IANA:

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.html

Anyway... you should be able to get OIDs under 1.2 assigned by your local ISO
member body.

OIDs don't depend on delegation like DNS does. I can declare that some OID
under mine can be used to generate other OIDs by appending an international
phone number of a phone they own, or run a server that generates
auto-incrementing numbers whenever people ask for one. And then I can't stop
people using those OIDs; they are numeric and beyond trademark law, and it's
not delegated with servers like DNS so there's nothing I can turn off. The
worst I can do is to try to cause collisions by assigning those OIDs to other
purposes. I like this property.

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen