   Re: [xml-dev] Tree v. Table - A relational XML object model...?

David Megginson wrote:

> I do believe that it would be useful to have a middle-level data layer
> (say, "XDL") on top of XML.  That layer could enforce both restrictions (no
> mixed content) and more abstract, data-specific conventions (such as
> typing, if it were actually a good idea).  Other data oriented specs could
> be built on top of it.

This seems like the converse of XQuery:  i.e., instead of an XML view over a
relational database, an application-specific mapping for instantiating the
parse of an XML instance to a relational schema. Being application specific,
such a layer would be clearly abstracted from the particular XML instances
which, upon parsing would be mapped from their native taxonomy of
provenance/structure/name to the relational view/table/column.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry