   Re: [xml-dev] Doing Web services right

At 9:11 PM -0500 3/11/03, Mike Champion wrote:

>That is the REST dogma, and I buy it as far as the synergy between
>HTML links and HTTP GET is concerned.  GETing a "representation"
>from a URI is clearly the proven way to reference information in a
>scalable manner. But I still haven't seen a compelling analysis that
>real, sucessful Web sites adhere to REST when it comes to HTML forms
>and HTTP POST, i.e. linking to those back-end applications that do
>things in the real world as opposed to moving representations around
>the Web.

I suppose what we should do is develop a list of successful sites,
and then characterize their web architectures. Might make an
interesting project.

I do note that anecdotally Amazon is pretty restful and seems
successful. I'm also spending a lot of time in Neomail lately, and
it's non-RESTtful abuse of POST cause major user interface problems.
Here are a few other sites out there that qualify as successful:

1. Hotmail
2. Google
3. Babelfish.altavista.com
4. Maps.yahoo.com
5. Wall Street Journal
6. shopper.cnet.com
7. Blogger
8. store.apple.com
9. www.dell.com
10. Sourceforge.net

I suspect people can add to this list. Off the top of my head I don't know how
RESTful these sites are. The only one I use regularly is Google.
Anyone feel like taking a serious look and categorizing them by CGI
type?

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |