   RE: [xml-dev] XML Binary and Compression

Yes it is true that for the schema-based encoder/decoder insignificant
whitespace is lost. This behavior is similar to XSLT processor canonicalize
of whitespace.

Also the lexical format of content may not be preserved when using a
schema-based encoding approach (i.e. 100" and "1.0E2").

I'm not suggesting that the schema-based approach is one-size fits all. In
fact, as shown in our experiments, it is suboptimal for large datasets. But
it has value, especially for smallish schema-valid files and could be a part
of a broader solution to XML size optimization. By its vary nature no
optimization  solution will be optimal for everyone's requirements. But a
combination of solutions may meet 80% of the cases.

- Dan