   Trang rocks

I'll admit that I've gotten pretty jaded about XML software.  So many
promises, so many hopes, so many lousy press releases.  Every now and
then, however, something new really does come along.

Trang, James Clark's XML<->DTD<->RELAX NG<->RELAX NG Compact
Syntax<->W3C XML Schema converter, is just plain incredible.  The
command-line interface is dead simple, and the results feel like magic,
largely because of the amount of information they manage to preserve
across syntaxes and styles.

I don't have to work with W3C XML Schema any more - for my purposes,
it's more than enough to convert those schemas to RNG or DTDs, depending
on my preference of the day.  Writing in RELAX NG compact syntax and
producing RELAX NG or WXS is a lot easier as well.

I suspect Trang's basic advantages come from RELAX NG, and it's really a
showpiece for what you can do with a mathematical model underneath your
structures, but however it works, I'm thrilled.  James Clark already has
the XML Cup, so there's likely no need to renominate him.

Trang's worth a close look from anyone who has to build or document XML
structures.

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

--
Simon St.Laurent