   Re: [xml-dev] Re: BOM requirement in UTF-16

Tim Bray scripsit:

> >   Where the character set information is explicitly marked, such as in
> >   UTF-16BE or UTF-16LE, then all U+FEFF characters, even at the very
> >   beginning of text, are to be interpreted as zero width no-break
> >   spaces.
>
> It's worse than that.  Last time I checked, the media-type RFC for
> UTF16-LE and -BE *forbade* the use of a BOM entirely.

You're saying the same thing in different words.  UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE
forbid the use of a BOM, and therefore any U+FEFF that appears is necessarily
a ZWNBSP.  (This use of U+FEFF is deprecated as of Unicode 3.2, however).
Naturally, XML files can't begin with a ZWNBSP.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There