   Special XML parsers

Hello:

In an article called "2003 And Beyond (Technology trends that will affect your business and how you do business)" http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html#msxml, Andrew Grygus says the following about XML and Microsoft:

-----
'...Microsoft has promised complete compliance with the XML standard and did announce that the Microsoft Office file formats will be transitioned to XML.
Many people rejoiced, saying, "Microsoft is converting even Office formats to standard XML, so soon we will be free of all those problems with proprietary Office formats". This is just silly. "Extensible" fits perfectly with Microsoft's traditional approach for destroying standards: "Embrace, Extend, Exterminate".
Even a casual reading of XML specifications will show that you can define data types that require a special parser to interpret them, which could be a parser only available in a Microsoft product. Microsoft has already stated they will do this, "to protect our intellectual property"'.
It's that last paragraph; specifically: "you can define data types that require a special parser to interpret them."   I'm new to XML but I thought that there was only one kind of xml-conforming parser that could be created - i.e., one that conformed to the XML standard.
If he's correct, could someone give me an example of a special xml parser?
Cheers
Jon Steeves

Jon Steeves
Technical Communications