   Re: [xml-dev] If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he'd be bette

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 05:40:01PM +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Indeed, the simple fact that people are doing SAX filtering in the archetypal
> Perl one-liners shows that the DPH argument has had its effect.
Very much so.

> There's work on
> making the situation even better, and the Perl 6 people are discussing very
> interesting things relating to XML.

Yes.  I mentioned one of them in my post earlier in this thread :-)...

I can't tell you how exciting it was to be at the XML Conference in Seattle
and see Larry Wall there speaking on XML in Perl, back in 1999 or so.
Not just because Larry is a good speaker, but also because he's the author
or Perl itself, and it was clear that with XML we'd got the attention of
the Perl community.  Perl is a major infrastructure language, it's used
for glue like duct-tape on the backstage wiring of the Internet (sorry),
so getting in there meant we were going in the right direction.

Tim Bray is one of the people who can take a lot of the credit for
enabling that.  And I think his perspective on programming languages
should not be dismissed outof hand either.

Best,

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, liam@w3.org, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/