   Re: Re: [xml-dev] Transactional Integrity of Services (LONG)

On Sunday 30 March 2003 20:19, Mike Champion wrote:

> Putting information in the
> fuzzy intermediate XML zone (such as SOAP headers) allows those ubiquitous
> XML processors to look deep inside the message (with XPath, SAX, DOM,
> regexp, whatever) to make routing/filtering decisions  that would be
> impractical before XML came along.

It's a shame the OSI protocol stack lost out to IP - one of its plus points
was that above a certain point in the stack, everything was represented in
ASN.1, from protocol information to application messages.

Even if XML protocol headers do start taking off (personally, I hope not; I'm
the kind of guy who likes to use UDP for certain things, and keeping things
tight means you can fit more in each packet and avoid a whole host of issues
by not going over the minimum fragment size. Also, some people are still on
modems. Any header representation that's verbose will never be ubiquitous
because of the needs of these application domains, just a load of existing
mindshare that'll need to be trampled by whatever *could* be ubiquitous if
it's ever to become so, and thus a huge waste of time in the long run), there
will still be loads of protocols that don't use it for ages to come, like TCP
and DNS and ICMP and HTTP and SMTP and so on...

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen