   Namespace vs Prefix in error message: friendly versus correct?

Jeff Lowery:

> c) Batik Squiggle 1.5b noted that "the attribute xlink:href of the element
> <image> is required", which is kind of a curious error since 1) xlink is a
> prefix, not a namespace; 2) the namespace declaration itself was invalid,
> yet didn't cause an error (in any of the programs)

This brought up a side thought for me.  When I write error messages in 4Suite
(and all other software), I prefer to say something such as:

"Element (http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform, when) cannot appear here"

Several of the other core developers have argued for

"Element xsl:when cannot appear here"

Arguing that it's more user friendly.  I concede this point, but I think the
fact that it gives false prominence to the prefix and could thus be misleading
is more important than the fact that URIs are hard to read.

We did settle on a compromise:

"Element xsl:when, in namespace http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform, cannot
appear here"

but no one has had the time to go back and retrofit all the error messages,
and I find it a tad clumsy.

I've actually thought that I should switch from Python tuple notation to
Clark's notation:

"Element {http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform}when cannot appear here"

Anyway, I wanted to get the perspective of othr XML-DEVvers on this trade-off.

Gems From the [Python/XML] Archives - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/09/py-xm
l.html
Introducing N-Triples - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi
nk17/index.html