   Re: [xml-dev] What should be open/free? (Was: Low-end Office 11won't do

From: "Frank" <frank@therichards.org>

> No matter how legally, and even morally, (look I really don't have any
> problem with what they're doing) ok their position is, Jean Paoli stood
> up at XML 2002 in Baltimore and led a few thousand influential people to
> expect something that is apparently being only partially delivered

But I think we have to allow vendors the freedom to change their plans.

And if the product being announced is due for release more than six months
after the announcement, then the concrete form of that freedom should be
our healthy scepticism that the announcement may be, in part, a spoiler for
the competition.

> I not only believed, but propagated MS marketing BS.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself: the lesson is not to recommend vaporware
(i.e. non-released products, especially the first version of a non-released product--yikes!) regardless of whether a vendor eventually sticks to the details of its pre-announcement.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

(Not speaking on behalf of employer which makes an editor product available now)