   Re: [xml-dev] Low-end Office 11 won't do user schemas, it seems

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:31:14 +1000, Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
wrote:

> being able to produce structured documents is simply not an important
> feature in the SOHO market.

Word processing, spreadsheets, and databases weren't an important feature
of the SOHO market until Office came along and created the requirement.
For that matter, computers weren't an important feature of the SOHO market
until PC's and Macs created the market 20 years ago.  My "I was a fool, but
I believed" hope was that Office 2003 would do the same for XML.  That
can't happen if the "real" XML support is only in the enterprise-licensed
versions.

> [schema and stylesheets] require skills an awareness beyond those of
> normal users of the Office suite.

Sure, but again think back 20 years ago -- the average office worker had
only the dimmest idea of what a font was, could not conceive of doing
presentation graphics without the assistance of an artist, could not have
written a "program" to sum up the values in one column of figures, divide
it by the sum of the values in another column, and multiply it by the value
in a specific cell to save his life. I don't expect Joe Officeguy to be
writing schemas for maintenance manuals or publication-quality stylesheets,
but with a little help from third party tools to make hide MS's misguided
reliance on XSDL behind Schematron/Examplatron/RELAX NG/GUIs, etc., I could
imagine some real interesting and productive things happening.

Like I said, I was a fool ...