   RE: [xml-dev] InfoPath, OpenOffice, XForms (Was: Low-end Office 1 1 won'

Like many when I saw Office 11 at XML2003 I was excited.  Although the
beta versions haven't exactly met my expectations, I still had a lot of
hope.

The corporate world has been waiting for a light-weight easy-to-use
XML editor.  Every technical publisher usually has many authors for
every book.  Medical publishers can have hundreds of authors for
each book.  Publishers cannot mandate that their authors purchase
a $500-1000 XML editor when the authors royalties may not even cover
the cost of the editor.

The publisher cannot afford to cover the cost of an editor and
training to use the editor for all their authors.  Their solution
is usually to get the information from the authors then either
convert it themselves or contract out for the conversion.

I worked on a pilot this year where the organization developed their own
light-weight editor in order to have their agencies provide the required
information in XML. The editor worked o.k. but wasn't the optimal solution
and the pilot was a great success.  However, if they could give the
agencies a Word-based solution, they could move very quickly into an
XML-based solution.  The XML editor is a key component.

If I could 'bend Microsoft' I would suggest that they provide
a 'developers' version of Office.  This would provide organizations
to develop their own schemas, stylesheets, macros, etc. and allow
their end user the ability to use the developed XML applications
within Word.

This solution would make everyone happy.  Editors and authors don't
want to be in the business of developing applications.

I think WordPerfect (Corel) did a nice job (not perfect) of
including SGML and now XML into the WordPerfect product.  The compiled
XML application could be given to the end user.  The end user could
provide XML data where required but could still use WordPerfect
as a daily word processor.  XML is embedded in the product as
an add-on and those who aren't interested aren't bothered by it.

Betty