   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: White Paper - "Using OWL to Avoid SyntacticRigor Mo

costello@mitre.org (Roger L. Costello) writes:
>The namespace of the elements indicates the Ontology.  As I mentioned
>earlier, an Ontology can evolve in a distributed fashion.  There need
>not be a centralized committee of experts.  Besides, even if there was,
>I would argue that creating a centralized committee to create a logical
>design (i.e., an Ontology), and then allowing (encouraging!) diversity
>of physical expressions ain't a bad way to go!

There's still a centralized set of agreed meanings, frequently meanings
with pretensions to truth.  That's useful for some situations, a
nuisance for others.

Personally I find such classifications useful when I'm looking for
something (library cataloging) but far less useful when I'm trying to
understand something.  Metadata is great stuff, but it's no more a
cure-all than agreed schemas.

>Naturally, you will most likely want to involve domain experts in
>deciding what are the fundamental terms and their relationships.

Not naturally, no.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Unfortunately,
experts seem frequently to be people who assume everyone should listen
to them, and ontologists seem to fall into the same trap.

There is - or should be - a lot of room for markup applications without
the "Knowledge Technology" claims piling on.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!