   Re: [xml-dev] Statistical vs "semantic web" approaches to makingsenseof

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:41:01 -0400, Simon St.Laurent
<simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> Metadata is just data, after all - it's just data that most people
> (information creators) seem to care less about than the regular data,
> while a smaller band of people (information managers) care about it
> deeply.

Yup.  I think authors care about the data that's "visible" to the
reader/user ... the metadata that Word supports, or the HTML <head> stuff,
or just about any attribute besides href, seem far more likely to be
ignored.  Sure, data producers are just as lazy, stupid, non-self aware,
etc. as metadata producers, but their laziness, stupidity, and lack of self
awareness are immediately advertised to everyone, not just the few people
opening up HTML source or the properties panel.