   Re: [xml-dev] Statistical vs "semantic web" approaches to makingsenseof

[<martin@hack.org>]

> maybe the number of links to a page is a measure of exactly that and
> nothing else - but do feel free make any assumptions you want about why
> those links are there. personally i don't tend to see googles search
> results as a reputability grading at all, and i wouldn't recommend that
> anyone does ("it's true, i found it on google!").

I do not think of Google as giving me any confidence in the reliability of
the search hit content.  I just find that I am substantially more likely to
find something related to what I am looking for from Google than from most
of the other search sites.  Also, the farther away the hits are from the top
of the list, the less likely they are to be useful to me.

I judge the reliability of the content myself, but it is clear to me that
Google is doing something bery right.

> ultimately, if you care about the information that you publish, then you
> care about the metainformation. and yes, it's generally much easier to
> find web pages that have meaningful titles.

It is the misleading titles - especially deliberately misleading - that are
at issue here, I think.

Cheers,

Tom P