   Re: [xml-dev] Statistical vs "semantic web" approaches to makingsense of

Mike Champion wrote:

> What struck me is that the "AI" approach (I'll guess it makes heavy use
> of pattern matching and statistical techniques such as Bayesian
> inference) is working with raw text that the authors are deliberately
> trying to obfuscate the meaning of to get past "keyword" spam filters,
> and the Semantic Web approach seems to require explicit, honest markup.
> Given the "metacrap" argument about semantic metadata
> (http://www.well.com/~doctorow/metacrap.htm) I suspect that in general
> the only way we're going to see a "Semantic Web"  is for
> statistical/pattern matching software to create the semantic markup and
> metadata.

It's an artifcial distinction, tho' we've been through here before:

There I linked to a paper about a hybrid architecture called
InteRRaP, one project that helped consign the scruffy/neat debate in
AI to irrelevance. It seems inevitable that similar hybrid
architectures will appear on the web; RSS feeds, weblogs and search
engines make a fine primordial soup.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon