   RE: [xml-dev] (data) medium is the message

At 17:21 01/05/2003 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>And I've argued for years that secretaries know more about office
>information than anyone in the company, so I'm obviously coming from a
>different perspective.

No, you're not alone there Simon.

> >Maybe Joe user can do top down
> >development, but that means stepping back and understanding the big
> >picture and that's not something that everyone can do. So I think for
> >the next couple of years there's still going to be a need for Frank the
> >IT guy, or at least Frank the consultant who helps you build some
> >schema.
>
>For a long time, sure.  But it's time to start exercising some
>imagination and asking what else we can do.  Trading pre-defined data is
>boring, to put it mildly, and top-down development requires trusting the
>top.

If that job gets out of the 'Frank in IT' pair of hands I'll be impressed.
GUI or nothing is my experience for those not in IT.

>Frank the IT guy's job is safe.  I'd just like to develop systems that
>include people beyond Frank the IT guy, people who may not know a lot
>about XSLT or C, but do know about the actual subject matter they're
>working with.

Great.... until someone misses out the closing quote on that attribute.

Then its 'FRANK' where are you when I need you.
   and 'I won't trust you again'

regards DaveP