   RE: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working Drafts

> "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > (Under these rules, a Basic XSLT Processor must be able to
> manipulate
> > atomic values conforming to any of the XML Schema built-in
> types, for
> > example strings, integers, decimals, doubles, dates, times, QNames.
> > But a Basic XSLT processor does not support type
> annotations on nodes
> > in the data model: all nodes are untyped. And it does not support
> > user-defined types.)
>
> Could you clarify this?  Does this mean that a basic XSLT
> processor MUST understand all the schema types, but MAY NOT
> report these types?

It means that you can manipulate strings, integers, dates, times, etc -
all 44 built-in types - but you cannot attach type annotations to nodes.

So with a Basic XSLT Processor I can do:

<xsl:if test="xs:date(@date-of-marriage) gt xs:date(@date-of-death)">

which takes the string values of two attributes, converts each one to a
date, and then compares them as dates. But I cannot do a date comparison
as:

<xsl:if test="@date-of-marriage gt @date-of-death">

which relies on the schema processor annotating these attributes as
being of type date.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Michael Kay