   Standardising RegExps (Was: Is XML Doomed ...?)

In a message dated 09/05/2003 21:01:52 GMT Daylight Time, j3322ptm@yahoo.de writes:

Some of the complexity is hard to avoid, and in part
due to other standards not delivering necessary specs.
In particular the date/period types and algebra should
already have been done somewhere else (ISO 8601 or a
successor). Same for regexps.

Good point.

With the sheer diversity of involvement of individuals on this list .... Does anyone know of any process underway to standardise regular expressions? For a Unicode world?

A job for OASIS, if someone else isn't doing it already?

I guess that the approach defined in (my favourite spec) XSD Schema will be the de facto W3C regular expressions standard. XQuery, XPath and XSLT will be using it, as I read the WDs.

Andrew Watt