   Re: [xml-dev] Yo' mama's non-technical aguments

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> wrote:

| The other reason that people should "spend time reading broken W3C
| specs" is that few of us really have the luxury of ignoring the
| downstream implications of a spec that is widely supported by the
| major players.

True.  Eternal vigilance is the price of proper Damage Control.

| Whether or not one considers namespaces or XSDL types "broken",
| they've created considerable challenges for almost everyone,

Love the euphemism.

| and perhaps some of these could have been avoided if more people
| "laid down in the road" and demanded more implementation and
| interoperability experience before these specs were made into
| Recommendations.

You think?  Well, XML Namespaces never made it past WD while the old
WG/SIG lasted.  Then came recharter time, the naysayers were quietly
pruned, and lo the WD sailed through to Rec in short order.  This is
called <gong>"W3C Process"</gong>, I believe.

The operative word is attrition.