   Re: [xml-dev] What are the characteristics of a good type system for XML

Amelia A Lewis scripsit:

> For the type gronk:
>
> Given a string, the gronk type specification allows you to determine if this
> is a representation of a valid instance of type gronk.
>
> boolean gronk(xmlstring);
>
> Given two strings known to be of type gronk (see preceding function), return
> -1 0 1 to indicate whether the first is smaller than, equal to, or larger
> than the second (an equality function, plus a bit).
>
> [-1,0,1] gronkSort(xmlstring, xmlstring);

The first is of course the minimum required, but the second assumes the type has
a natural total ordering, which may not be the case.  The RNG datatype interface
requires only that we be able to say, for two strings, whether they are
distinguishable or indistinguishable with respect to the type:  thus
01 and 1 are distinguishable as strings, but indistinguishable as integers.

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram