   Re: [xml-dev] What are the characteristics of a good type system for XML

?
is there any need to introduce the indirection through a prefix? wouldn't

 <zref idref="{some uri}a1"/>

be adequate? do you really need the benefit of the scoped bindings?

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> IDs are one end of the non-tree structure in an XML document,
> a target for links.  So perhaps they don't have enough scope:
> perhaps documents should be given "keyscopes" which allows
> elements with IDs from one document to be pasted into another.
> Here is a mechanism, rather like the dreaded namespaces (no
> flames please), to demonstrate what I mean:
>
> <x>
>     <y keyscope="some uri">
>         <z id="a1" />
>         <zref idref="a1"/>
>     </y>
>     <y keyscope="some other uri">
>         <z id="a1" />
>         <zref idref="a1"/>
>         <zref idref="aa:a1"  keyscope:aa="some uri"/>
>     </y>
> </x>
>
> In other words, instead of (or as well as) the typing focus of
> what elements can be pointed by another element (i.e. the
> kinds of concerns that keys raise) perhaps we need to consider
> the modularity/document composition concern of how to
> allow cut and paste between documents without having to reallocate
> IDs.  So that IDs are universally unique.
>
> What might a suitable keyscope URI be? Well, initially it can be
> the original document that the data was cut and pasted from.
> This brings us to a kind of transclusion: we keep track of the
> source of the fragment.

please don't do this. please just admit that id values are universal names and
serialize them as such.