   Re: [xml-dev] XML:lang, clarification demanded

[Kris Vanhoutte]

In the mean time, I checked out some literature and there I read that
<quote>The XML-processor isn't required to do anything with the URL [..].
There doesn't even have to be a document at the location it points to.
Specifuing the URL is a formality to provide additional information about
the namespace, [..] </quote>.

This makes perfect sense, because the difference between the XML:lang and
other namespaces is the <xs:import> element.  Could it be that import
actually imports (sort of copies) the xml.xsd on your harddisk?

[Tom P]

The namespace URI is just a unique string that does not have to be
retrieved, you you are asking the processor to use an actual schema document
at a specific location (the xml.xsd file).  The import statement tells to
processor to retrieve that particular schema an assign to it the specified
namespace.

Cheers,

Tom P