   RE: [xml-dev] suppression of the transformation of character entities in

> ’ decimal supposes to be the right single quotation
> mark, which comes up nicely, when you put it directly into an
> html <div>.

As I think Rick Jelliffe has explained, it might work in HTML, but in
XML, &#148; does not represent a right single quotation mark, in fact it
does not represent a displayable character at all. In XML, numeric
character references must be Unicode code points.

Michael Kay