   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing the structure of a form as XML content

At what point does creating entirely new systems using the most antiquated technology become a gratuitous exercise?  I don't mean to slur the posters, as I've had to use a technique similiar to the one described a few years ago.  But this seems to be the case of painting one's self into a corner, or throwing good money after poor practice.

The forward slash isn't a valid name character. One could maintain a second, hidden form field which contains a simple lookup table of html field names to XPath targets, as in

field1, param:parameters/input/job-input/x1/

The form is then self-describing, without violating any naming rules. Of course, you still have a problem if you need to have multiple elements as siblings, and need to specify the order, but you can solve that with even more mangling to include parent/child pointers.