   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

james anderson <james.anderson@setf.de> wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote:

| could someone explain how the "generic vocabulary combination" problem
| would be any different if the given initial logical document were encoded
| as [...] that is, absent even the attribute-encoded identifiers introduced
| in the xml-map example.

No different.  Exactly the same considerations apply.  A name mapping is
always necessary, between the arbitrary names an author could use and the
"well-known" (or externally predefined) ones he may wind up using.  The
single well-known vocabulary case is then merely an "identity mapping",
which would need no explicit control information given a set of reasonable
defaulting rules.  Basically, use explicit control attributes only when
you have to: the document instance as context determines how and to what
extent.

It's a matter of giving document authors means to express what they want,
not of imposing externally predetermined usages on them (such as "you
gotta use xlink:href instead of html:src!")

|> The interesting fact is that not only are colons or multi-part names not
|> needed for this,
|
| then leave them out of the its discussion.

I would, except that all too often colonification is catechistically
trotted out as the "solution", when in fact it isn't.