   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

Arjun Ray wrote:

> "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
>
> | It seems like namespaces aimed at diambiguation with the "let's create
> | big long names" approach, and then had to abbreviate the big long names
> | to keep the language usable.
>
> Basically, yes.  The inveterate metaphysical babbling about "global
> uniqueness" or whatever is just smoke to make up for the lack of a fire.

could someone explain how the "generic vocabulary combination" problem would
be any different if the given initial logical document were encoded as

<zero>
 <two>
  <three>
   <four>XML: A Primer</four>
   <five>
    <six align="center">
     </six>
    <six align="left">
     </six>
    </five>
   </three>
  </two>
 </zero>

or as

<zero>
 <two>
  <three>
   <four>XML: A Primer</four>
   <five>
    <six align="center">
     </six>
    <six align="left">
     </six>
    </five>
   </three>
  </two>
 </zero>

or even as

<zero>
 <two>
  <one>
   <one>XML: A Primer</one>
   <two>
    <one align="center">
     </one>
    <one align="left">
     </one>
    </two>
   </one>
  </two>
 </zero>

that is, absent even the attribute-encoded identifiers introduced in the
xml-map example.
and why it would be the same problem if the document were encoded as

<zero>
 <one>
  <one>
   <one>XML: A Primer</one>
   <one>
    <one align="center">
     </one>
    <one align="left">
     </one>
    </one>
   </one>
  </one>
 </zero>

absent a clear explanation, it would be more productive to leave namespaces
out of the discussion.

> [... xml-map example ...]
>
> | The problem comes about if you tried to combine RSS with another XML
> | vocabulary whose elements also resided in the nil namespace.
>
> No problem as long as markup is used to tell the difference.  Heck, that's
> what markup is for!
>
> The interesting fact is that not only are colons or multi-part names not
> needed for this,

then leave them out of the its discussion.

>    but also such syntactically intrusive devices can
> complicate or preclude solving the problem in the general case.

i don't recall you mentioning this issue before. examples please. i
implemented the xml-map mechanism as initially proposed. it's a while back,
but my recollection is that it was a strictly post-interned-names operation.
which means completely unlrelated to any namespace-related operations and/or
lexical properties.

> In fact, I've demonstrated a class of methods (using control attributes)
> to solve these problems:
>
>   1.  Allow any vocabulary to be mapped to any partition of the document.
>   2.  Allow this for multiple vocabularies uniformly, catering to both
>       exclusion and overlap.
>
> Not just that, I've done it with nary a colonified name in sight.  Never
> mind that I don't even have "xlink:href versus html:src" problems here!
>
> And for that, I'm supposed to be a troll?  Sheesh.

then leave namespaces out of the discussions. if one insists on bringing in
something which is not technically relevant, the reader wonders if the
motivations are technical or rhetorical.