   Re: [xml-dev] human interaction with XML

chiusano_joseph@bah.com (Chiusano Joseph) writes:
>There has been, and will continue to be, a great need among all who
>interact with XML in such an agency to be able to tie back the
>information in XML schemas/documents to the "master" registry, in
>terms of element names, datatypes, formats, etc. This requires (in my
>opinion) a large degree of human interaction with XML.

Even without a 'master', there are some interesting challenges in data
that crosses expectation boundaries.  One of the fun stories I heard at
XML Europe was about two departments in the same company who disagreed
about how much markup different parts of documents needed, and neither
was happy to add the total of everyone's desires.

They declared a truce by writing stylesheets for stripping out markup
they didn't like and re-marking the stuff they wanted by hand.  I don't
know how that turned out in the end or how big a burden it was overall,
but it doesn't seem unusual.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!