   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

An additional thought:

If one did use the attribute "title" as below, in a schema, of course
the declaration of the attribute as used with the "author" element could
be a local declaration (perhaps with enumerated values such as "Mr",
etc.) while the "title" attribute used with book could be a global
declaration (or vice-versa, or both could be local). So one could
consider each "title" attribute as being used in a different context
within the same vocabulary - in the context of a person, and in the
context of a book. Alternatively, the attributes could be named
"PersonalTitle" and "BookTitle".

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> Actually, I view the example in a different light (reproduced below):
>
> [[[
> <signing>
>    <author title="Mr" name="Vikram Seth" />
>    <book title="A Suitable Boy" price="$22.95" /></signing>
> <signing>
>    <author title="Dr" name="Oliver Sacks" />
>    <book title="The Island of the Color-Blind" price="$12.95"
> /></signing>
> </section>
> ]]]
>
> In my opinion, The more semantically correct attribute name for the
> "title" attribute of the "author" element would be "prefix", not
> "title". So (with all due respect to the author of this example), I
> personally don't believe that this is the best example to illustrate the
> concepts.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Joe Chiusano
> Booz | Allen | Hamilton
>
> "W. E. Perry" wrote:
> >
> > Absent a context--specifically a syntactic instance of XML (a document)--these
> > apparent isonyms can be said to collide only at the level of universal names.
> > Since the scope of XML names is by definition constrained to a document,
> > collision on the universal plane (if such collision might occur at all, or
> > indeed if such a plane might even be identified with reference to the
> > definition of XML) is utterly outside both the realm of Bill de hÓra's
> > question and indeed outside of those questions of naming which can be framed
> > within the defined terms of XML. Indeed, Bill de hÓra has already directly
> > addressed your example with his parsing of 'title' into the three occurrences
> > of markup in which it appears in the Namespaces Rec example.
> >
> > Respectfully,
> >
> > Walter Perry
> >
> > Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> >
> > > Here are several off the top of my head:
> > >
> > > (1) "feet":
> > >
> > >  - One occurrence could be a string that contains the anatomical
> > > condition of a foot, perhaps in a list of body parts in a doctor's form;
> > >
> > > - Another occurrence could be a distance;
> > >
> > > NOTE: I believe that using an element named "feet" is probably not a
> > > good approach, as it is not sufficiently semantically descriptive -
> > > especially in the second case, which really should be "Distance" (or
> > > similar), with an attribute containing the unit of measure.
> > >
> > > (2) "title":
> > >
> > > - One occurrence could be the title of a book;
> > >
> > > - Another occurrence could be a title on a house;
> > >
> > > (3) "StateCode" - I think this is the best example of the 3
> > >
> > > - One occurrence could be a US state;
> > >
> > > - Another occurrence (in a scientific context) could be the state of an
> > > element (gasous, etc. - I don't recally the other possibilities)
> > >
> > > This third example could very well occur in a domain such as the US
> > > Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano