   Re: [xml-dev] human interaction with XML

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Personally, I'm going to spend what time I can this summer focused on
> the many problems of entities,

The construction of the 'ongoing' software was on a microscopic scale
compared to some of the stuff Simon's talking about, but I can testify
that entities were the only real irritant at the XML level.  I ended up
having a good old-fashioned DTD with a bunch of entity declarations that
gets auto-magically prepended to the articles before they get fed into
the publishing system's maw.

For publishing-oriented apps of XML, we're nowhere near being able to do
away with entities, and the state of the art for handling them is not
very advanced.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)