   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

Arjun Ray <aray@nyct.net> writes:

> "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net> wrote:
> | [Bill de hÓra]
>
> | >   - in my work with XML I've never run across a collision problem
> | > that seemed to require namespaces. I wondering whether they're rare
> | > or whether the markup I dela with is unusual.
> | >

> | The one that leaps to my mind is using an xslt stylesheet to create another
> | xslt stylesheet.  [...] now that I bring it up, there will probably be a
> | lot of solutions popping up (I can see using special attributes to indicate
> | whether something is intended to be a literal result element or not)
>
> Yup.  It can be as simple as that.  The XSLT case is actually easier than
> the general problem, because there are no overlaps.  All XSLT needs is the
> moral equivalent of Lisp's quote/backquote operator.

That would need to be an XML mechanism, not an XSLT one. XSTL has

<template match="foo">
  <element name="template">
    <apply-templates/>
  </element>
</template>

The problem is that you don't want to use it all the time; literal
result elements are very handy. So you could say that except for those
elements enumerated in the XSLT spec, all other ones will be treated
as literals.

The problem /then/ is that any new version of the spec that adds new
elements will be backward-incompatible because it might interpret
literal elements as XSLT instructions.

Ari.

PS Why doesn't xml-dev send proper reject messages? I accidentally
sent a reply form an unsubscribed address and didn't know the message
didn't make it to the list[1] until Arjun pointed my attention to it.

[1] This even sounds funny. It should have been "didn't know it was
rejected", but then again if it were, I would have known.