   Re: [xml-dev] Doc vs. Data

At 02:05 PM 6/6/2003 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:

>Would mixed content suffice?

I'm not sure. What we generally think of as structured data does not use
mixed content, but there are also many documents that do not use mixed content.

>Data-oriented data can often be processed entirely with a "pull" model
>(XSLT or XQuery), while document-oriented mixed content needs to be
>processed with a "push" model (XSLT template rules).

I wonder if this isn't more an issue of the kind of processing than the
kind of document. I agree that formatting documents is often best done with
a push model. Extracting data can be done with either. Combining and
restructuring data sources is generally best done with a pull model. I have
certainly used the same data to do all three.

Jonathan