   Re: [xml-dev] standardization: bumps in the road

Fred,

I made a post to this listserv back in March regarding Web Services
standards [1] - you may find it helpful. Since that time, I would add
BPEL4WS [2] to the list. WS-Policy 1.1 (part of GXA) was also just
released, and is apparently headed for an open standards organization
[3].

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200303/msg00374.html
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsbpel
[3] http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2003-06-04-a.html

Fred Hapgood wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I write articles on science and technology for various
> magazines and have an independent interest in
> standardization processes.
>
> Recently the editors of CIO magazine asked if I would
> look into the standardization of XML-based web services
> -- a matter of some interest to their
> constituency.
>
> Anyway, as nearly as I can figure out from a tour
> of the web, as of June 2003 there are two formal
> net services standardization bodies -- bodies
> explicitly charged with the standardization mission --
> (W3C and Oasis) and two that as a practical matter
> have as much clout as anyone (IBM & MS).  That makes
> four.
>
> Four is not an unprecedentedly large number for an
> IT domain, but it is of course not the ideal state,
> which is one. So one question is: Are we getting
> there?  Are we moving in the right direction, away
> from it, or are we stuck dead in the water?  If the
> latter, what can get the sector moving again?
>
> To put the point more generally, what policy issues
> does the history of the standardization of xml-based
> web services speak to, illustrate, or exemplify??
>
> Opinions solicited.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred Hapgood
> www.pobox.com/~fhapgood
>   www.pobox.com/~fhapgood

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano